Sunday, June 13, 2021

Artnotes: Two Beds

 

An Essay about Orange    Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  12 x 12 "  30  x 30 cm  425.00

 

I listened to a wonderful musical video today:  The Keep Going Song (https://youtu.be/Cs-ju_L9pEQ) by the Bengsons.   It is performed in a little room in the elder Bengsons house in Dayton, where the young Bengsons went with their three-year-old upon the announcement of the pandemic lockdown.   They thought they might only be there ten days or so, but alas.

When I found out about the pandemic my first thought was to “go home”. Whenever there has been any sort of “national emergency” (like 9/11) I have always asked my friends to come and stay with me.   This practice started with times we’d be snowed in, in New England.   The blizzard of 1978 was a memorable lockdown of several days, with music and beer, games and toboggan rides.   But really, I guess this pandemic wasn’t a good time to be together.
 

 

Seen through a Screen  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  20 x 27.5  50 x 70cm  650.00

 

 

Today is my sister Nancy’s birthday.  She is ten years younger than me and I remember the day she was born. 
I had just gotten home from a Girl Scout camping trip:  Camp Maria Pratt.  I threw up on the way home in Laurie V’s family car.  I was carsick after eating an undercooked doughboy charred over the fire.  Exhausted from staying awake all night, Kumbaya played in my head over and over again.  I had insomnia from an early age, and if you can’t sleep, the worst thing is to be surrounded by other sleepers, particularly in a smelly tent.

 

Salt Sicily   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/antique paper  8 x 14"  20 x 35   95.00

 

It was warm, and we went swimming, the only redeeming grace of the trip.   Mary W was my “buddy”, and at any time you might be asked to hold hands to show you were together.  We swam in the pond on Friday afternoon, and again on Saturday morning.  In the early morning, steam rose from the water.  It was very beautiful sight and every time I see it again, I am transported to that day.

 

Boats on the Pond  Blair Pessemier  acrylic/wood 6.5 x 9.5"  17 x 24cm   125.00

 

When I was dropped off at home, my Uncle Tommy, still a bachelor then, was drinking beer and eating pepperoni, a regular Saturday afternoon activity.  Nobody seemed particularly happy to see me, which wasn’t troubling because I was so out of sorts. My mother was especially detached:  she drank a beer, which was not her usual nature.  She said she needed to burp. My sister Teresa was toddling about.   I had no sooner positioned myself on the living room sofa (grey and yellow tweed, wooden arm) with a pillow when my mother said, “I think I need to go to the hospital.”  She called my Aunt Stella, who concurred, yes, go, HURRY, even. 

 

Wildflowers on a Yellow Field  Laurie Fox Pessemier  16 x 11"  40 x 27cm  SOLD

 

My mother and father left us.  Within what seemed like minutes they called to announce the birth of my youngest sister, Nancy.  The doctor was still in his picnic togs in the delivery room, arriving just in the nick of time.  Celebration ensued, with my Grandmother and Aunt Franny assuming the babysitting duties.  It was that era when mothers spent a few days in the hospital after the birth.  Nancy was a good natured baby, and my sister Teresa and I were moved to a new room with two beds.  I quit the Scouts.

 

The Bed  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  16 x 20"  40 x 50cm  550.00

 



INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85625088767?pwd=WldKRk9VbUVITWtRS0FFK2JwdGEwQT09
Description:Laurie Pessemier is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Join Zoom Meeting

 


 

No comments: