Sunday, June 20, 2021

Artnotes: Over the Dam

 

Over the Dam (with dragonflies) Blair  Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 20 x 24"  50 x 60 cm  750.00
The heat has finally reached Italy.  Even here in the hills, it’s been in the 90s, which is a little unusual.  We have delicious breezes, and as long as we remain in the shade, it feels good.  
Roses in the Yard  Laurie Fox Pessemier acrylic/paper 14 x 17"  35 x 43cm  250.00
I’d like to go swimming, in a lake or river, but it’s not something that’s done in Italy. When I vocalize my desire, I get recommendations for pools (my feeling is if fish can’t live there, neither can I) or lectures on the dangers of “wild” swimming.   I received one suggestion (FB) for “regenerative” bathing -- we tracked it down on Wednesday.
 
Black Cypress Gone Wild  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/paper  25 x 17"  63 x 41cm  290.00
It was a rather circuitous drive that prompted me to say I was never going anywhere in the car again.  I get carsick, and there was a lot of “unknown road” on the GPS headed toward Due Ponti near Fanano.  Eventually we made it, and idle threats were laid aside.  
It was a beautiful spot, with a series of cascades with lush pools below.  I could hear my father saying “at our age (he always thought I was the same age as him) we could break a hip”.  In any case, I found a nice pool I could ease into, wearing my water shoes.  Divine.  It had the smell of running water from the deep forests beyond.  Insects flew and jumped on the water, tempting fish bold enough to brave the sun.  I love all the aspects of the fresh water:  a sensual experience.
Magical Dragonflies  LaurieFox Pessemier  Acrylic/paper  25 x 17"  63 x 41cm  290.00
Next day, I got to thinking of places easier to access and remembered one from 2015 (we painted there, but someone was taking nude photos which were quite distracting). We drove along painfully twisting roads (only 10 minutes from here – almost walkable) to an astoundingly deep dark creek overflowing into a pool– surrounded by brilliant royal blue dragonflies.  I felt as though I had happened upon a magic garden.  Harika and I cooled our dogs in the Quiete. 

 

My desire for water has been, at least temporarily, satisfied.  I was completely spoiled by the seasons on Highland Lake in Winsted, Connecticut, where I swam a good 30 summers that I didn’t spend on Cape Cod or in Seattle.  Times change, like water over the dam.  And hopefully, there’s a pool beneath.

 


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM


Laurie Pessemier is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Join Zoom Meeting

 


No comments: