Sunday, January 24, 2021

Artnotes: Artnotes: Strada dei Fiori



Gulet Boat Greece Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  24 x 31.5 "  60 x 80 cm
850.00
A friend from California wrote:  “I just got a new seed catalog, is there anything you’d like?”  I live in a fairly agricultural country with 1,620,000 farms according to the 2010 census.  But most of those cultivate grain (Italy is a huge rice (risotto) exporter) and fruits/vegetables (trees included).  My interest is flowers, so I put in a suggestion of zinnias and asters. 
Mixed Flowers  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 16 x 9.5"  40 x 24 cm  450.00
My thumb is pitifully un-green, so whatever I plant must be easy to grow.  Last year I ended up with some delicious French radishes (same friend) and kale (which I would not normally have chosen, but was hardy and delicious).   She sent me some African daisies and poppies.  My very own zinnias took a long time, but bloomed into October.  My nasturtiums didn’t produce until mid August, and my sweet peas and morning glories didn’t get a single flower.  I blame the heat and clay-ish soil.
Mykonos View   Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 18 x 24"  45 x 60cm   750.00
Growing things is something we can plan on in this uncertain age.  I’d rather be planning my trip to Dakar, or even Marseilles.  But travel remains elusive here as EU countries sue Astra-Zeneca for not producing enough vaccines (and we all thought the problem would be distribution).   So I am thinking flowers.
Cosmos  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 12 x 16"  30 x 40 cm  450.00
I am working in a new medium at the moment:  clay.  I’ve made candle holders and little vases.  Some wild characters are emerging, including fish and a mini-caryatid to accompany Blair’s Greek show.
I’ve been using a self-drying clay, which I am not sure about, but getting to the kiln isn’t always obvious in our lock-down state. I am not sure it’s an essential service.   Art is essential, we all know, but does the government?   I am painting and varnishing my creations. 
Caryatids Athens   Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 31.5 x 16"  80 x 40cm   750.00
Flowers in Italy are grown in hothouses which dot the “autostrada dei fiori” on the Italian Riviera between the French border and Genoa.   We used to go there in the winter when we lived in Paris, ever so long ago.
Tuileries, Paris   Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 12 x 12"  30 x 30cm   450.00


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM


Laurie Pessemier is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Join Zoom Meeting

 


 

No comments: