Sunday, June 28, 2020

Artnotes: Hambone

Pork Chop Mustard Sauce  Laurie Fox Pessemier Acrylic/canvas 14 x 7"  35 x 17cm  400.00
I have been a hambone* all my life, telling funny stories, and making sure everyone is entertained.  Suddenly, I am in front of a camera.  I can’t really see, hear or smell anyone.

We had our ZOOM opening with the SOZO Gallery this week.  It went well, although I was a nervous wreck beforehand, despite telling myself “this is easier than a ‘real’ opening”.  And in some ways it was.  It had a clear beginning and end.  I could zone out and relax during brief films and question sessions.  What I didn’t count on was that I was so remote.
*hambone:   a ham; an eager or inferior performer 
Geraniums Red Red     Blair Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas  10.5 x 16"  26  x 40 cm   400.00
Although I wouldn’t describe myself as a salesperson, I always was.  I sold architecture and design services, furniture, products from the USA, artwork – and I would sell them face-to-face. 

I used to tell Blair that sometimes I felt guilty, leading people down the merry path of sales.  I could tell when we “clicked” and I could sell my customer whatever I wanted.  It was a natural thing – it wasn’t like I hypnotized them or anything; no incentive was offered.  It was the building of trust between us, and then we would work together, successfully.  Some of my best friends are former clients.
6 AM in front of via d'Azeglio    Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas  16 x 18"  40 x 45 cm  450.00
My mother was the world’s greatest salesperson.  She would win prizes at the telephone company for selling the most colored telephones – and we lived in one of the smaller markets in Connecticut.  She was a phenomenon.

Observing hand, eye, body signals when talking to someone lets me know how things are going.  I like the smell of people, even on the Paris subway.   When I see your wonderful face break into a smile, I know we are connecting.  With the computer (think time delay) I absolutely can't relate to a single person!  I feel like a newly blind girl at a big party.  It is tough. 
Roses in a Pickle Vase    Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12"  30 x 30cm  400.00
I am not altogether discouraged by all this. It’s an excuse to get smarter, better.   In July, we will be teaching art at a camp for young people, and teaching English conversation online.  When I can figure out the best way to offer painting workshops online, I will.  Have selfie-stick and a connection, will travel. 

Would you like a special picture painted by one of us?  Or want to take painting classes?  send me an email at lfpessemier@gmail.com,
Was this email forwarded to you?  Sign up for your own subscription to Artnotes.

No comments: