Marco Polo was born in Venice, and when you go to Venice today, you can see how the East met the West in Architecture and Design. I am lucky to only live 125 miles from there. Visiting friends are often skeptical about going to Venice, worried about crowds. We’ve had to cajole visitors into going, but it is the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen -- and everyone we’ve brought there has loved it. We don’t just hang around San Marco, but sometimes it’s nice to have lunch on that square and listen to the orchestras. Sometimes we eat in Murano, spaghetti made with those tiny clams harvested near Venice. There is so much to see there, and there are so many people to watch, from a million (well, a lot of) countries and cultures. It is truly the thing I miss about America: the diversity. And America’s diversity is best because it involves people of all financial backgrounds. You have to have a little money to go to Venice.