Sunday, September 08, 2024

Artnotes: Kind

 

Rose of Sharon   Laurie Pessemier  Acrylic/canvaspanel  20 x 12"    50 x 30cm  475.00

The mornings are coming later in Roccamalatina these days.  Today Berlino and I didn’t start our walk until after 7 AM.   He hates the wet grass, and I struggle to keep him out of the road.   Eventually we make it across the big road to the dirt paths.

The way is strewn with spider webs – I am sure those fellows didn’t count on prey as large as me.  I can barely see the fine line unless the sun is just right.  Sometimes the spiders hang on and I carry them down the path with me (not those big yellow ones – I jettison them asap).    Berlino is in pursuit of rabbit or deer.  The other day a juvenile pheasant sprinted across the road in front of us.  The wolves will celebrate Thanksgiving soon.
Montecorone Blue Sky  Laurie Pessemier  Oil Pastel on Paper  10 x 7"  25 x 18cm  75.00  
It’s a slow week here.  We had to buy a new washing machine, one of those necessary evils, like a new roof or buying tires.  I had good fortune at the dentist (another source of necessary evil) last week:   I lost an old crown which I luckily retrieved from a bite of pear tart -- the dentist made the repair for FREE.   Hallelujah.
Sassi di Roccamalatina  Blair  Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas   16 x 12" 40 x 30cm  475.00
I was reading a book recently and one of the things the heroine liked most about the Saxons was their kindness (the other was dependability).   Regarding kindness, I would say the same about the Italians.  Nary a day goes by we don’t receive some sort of gift or boost from one of our friends here.  Even when our car broke down in France this summer, the Italian insurance company tried hard to find us a place to stay during the repair. Other American friends commissioned paintings, and othes sent help.   When I re-read this paragraph, I think, gosh, most people ARE kind.  The recent “monetization” of everything from airplane meals to selling one’s personal trash to strangers on Marketplace makes one feel like a fool for giving something away, or being kind.   
Blair working on a BIG commission.
 It’s cooling down here, and I look forward to the disappearance of mosquitoes.  The scorpions are rushing inside, but are usually visible, thus avoidable.  We’re have a birthday luncheon at our house today and I can’t wait to sing “Happy Birthday to You.”
Little house at the Sassi  Laurie Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 10 x 14"  25 x 35cm  375.00
Sign up for Artnotes by contacting me at lfpessemier@gmail.com

INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88093708954?pwd=M04zNHB4dFZkREp3bThweUd1YnVDZz09

Meeting ID: 880 9370 8954 Passcode: 886402

Rome 8PM; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles 11AM