Sunday, August 25, 2024

Art Notes: No News is Good News

 

The Genie Urn   Laurie Pessemier  Acrylic/oil pastel/paper  24 x 17"  61 x 43cm  275.00

No news is good news, my father used to say.   I could never understand that, but as my friends age, I understand what he was talking about.   I love news, in general:  hearing about travel, new jobs, marriage, dogs, discoveries, ideas, food.

There’s very little news, in fact, here in Roccamalatina, Modena, Italy.  I am making my re-entry into life at the end of the long, hot summer.   We have a painter coming to paint with us next week.  I’ve lined up both places to paint and places to visit.     It’s still hot out, but not as hot.  Swimming has less appeal. 

Half Moon Blair Pessemier Acrylic/paper  16 x 20"  40 x 50cm  275.00  
I’ve been reading intensely as I continue to stay inside:  about the life of the exiled President of Georgia written by his sun by his son, Redjeb Jordania; about walking across Afghanistan in 2002 (Rory Stewart); Stories of the Sahara by a Chinese woman, Sanmao.  I caught part of a 2013 podcast with Gay Talese about how his obscure-ness made him the writer he was; respectful reporting; interesting angles, minor characters.  All this has kept me thinking and writing, and to some extent, painting.
Pachyderm Finds  Laurie Pessemier  Acrylic/wood   6 x 20"  15 x 50 cm  275.00
We went to the used furniture store on Tuesday.  We bought a Chinese dish, a cookie jar (really a wet garbage receptacle), and a Turkish teapot that certainly contains a genie:  all for 15 euros.  All of these items inspire me; Blair was inspired by a large table, that I also liked, but not sure 150 euros worth.   We’ll see.
 
Pears   Laurie Pessemier  Acrylic/oil pastel/paper   28 x 20"  70 x 50cm  275.00
We are constantly improving our home.  Nothing we buy is more than about 100 euros usually, so if it doesn’t work out, it’s not an enormous loss.  If it gives someone the same inspiration it gave us, we gift it to them.  I’ve been thinking of Indian colors and motifs lately:  stripes and tiger prints. We only rent this house, so I must limit myself to paper and canvas and physical purchases; that peacock painted bedroom could be too much.   
At the Flea Market    Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  9 x 6"  23 x 15cm  175.00
Maybe we should get that table.  Now, that’s good news.
Sign up for Artnotes by contacting me at lfpessemier@gmail.com

INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88093708954?pwd=M04zNHB4dFZkREp3bThweUd1YnVDZz09

Meeting ID: 880 9370 8954 Passcode: 886402

Rome 8PM; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles 11AM