Sunday, December 03, 2023

Artnotes: Always the Car

 

Crow  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/oilpastel/paper   23 x 17 "  59 x 43cm   250.00
 “Come on people now smile on your brother everybody get together and try to love one another right now “     Youngbloods 1967

Somehow I thought the world would just get better and better in my lifetime.  At least for me, the less selfish, the more kind I became the better I felt.  And I continue to feel that way – I like to make dinner, give presents, do my best.  I have a few friends who feel similarly.   Sadly, that isn’t the way of the rest of the world – when I picture Bethlehem right now, I see bombs and crying children.  Men in power clearly don’t believe that love and kindness and mercy are positive attributes.  
I made a wreath for our Stimigliano house, and we hung lights and decorations on the outside of the building.  It is at via Dante, 7; Stimigliano RI 02048;  where people get to see them – being a “city” house rather than a country place.   I fashioned my puppet collection into a circle of characters as a wreath on the front door – good guys and ogres, pretty girls and witches, birds and cats.  

We bought a cypress for a Christmas tree to decorate and will plant it in the earth over at our friend Margherita’s house in the spring.   We are planning to celebrate the holiday in Stimigliano, with the friends that surround us.   It’s unusual to be able to celebrate in Italy outside of family, and we are so happy to have many “orphans” nearby.  In Italy, Christmas is the family holiday, New Years for friends. 
White Roses   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/oil pastel/paper 17 x 23"  43 x 59cm   250.00
The sheep have returned to the fields below, and make me think of Christmas and the manger.  They have been moving from the hills to the fields for thousands of years.  I have to be sure Berlino is reined in, because those sheep dogs mean business.    

2023 has been a very long year – not unhappily so.  We have traveled to many countries, and are off on a dog-sitting venture in Uzes, France next week.   We hope Berlino will share our desire to “love one another”. If not, there is always the car.
A happy painting from our personal collection.  NFS

No comments: