Sunday, November 19, 2023

Artnotes: Carry On

Flowers in a Smiling Vase  Laurie Pessemier  Acrylic/oil pastel/paper  24 x 17"  43 x 61cm   250.00
I missed last week’s artnotes because I was on a plane returning to Rome from the USA.  I spent five days in Connecticut visiting family, setting up a new banking situation (after WellsFargo’s AI assistant cancelled us) and mailing an oversized painting to the West Coast.   I didn’t have a free moment and I apologize to those I didn’t get to see.
Portrait not Chosen   Blair Pessemier Oil on linen  27.5 x 20"    70 x 50cm   600.00 (or make offer)
What I did get to do was cook:  delicious Brussel sprouts, lobsters, pasta with chorizo and peas (a pantry meal), frittata with leftover lamb, veg and potatoes.   I have been enjoying cooking for others so much!  It was like a continuation of our Switzerland trip where I cooked every night for two weeks.  Although I enjoy cooking for Blair on a regular basis, Berlino is not much of a connoisseur, especially of vegetables.
Clementines Laurie Fox Pessemier Acrylic/Watercolor Paper  7 x 10"  18 x 25cm set of 3 100.00 (40 each)
The best thing about cooking, besides the actual cooking is sitting around the table, visiting.  I learn so much talking to others.  I was gobsmacked by a remark, delivered between a comment on the weather and sports, about how claiming you can’t do something is really “being your own worst enemy”.  From now on, I will know, when I say, “I just can’t learn any more Italian,” or “I can’t pass the B2 test,” I am only defeating myself.   Could he see my shocked expression when that sunk in?  I wrote it down so I wouldn’t forget, but really didn’t need to.
Washington State Ferry 11 x 15" 27 x 38cm
Little Ferry Sea Blue Sky   9.5 x 12  24 x 30cm
Both By Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  pair 500.00
350 each
One of my other cooking events was sandwiches for a dozen person get-together at the Norbrook Farm Brewery.  I bought loaves of bread, and stuffed them with:  pimento/cheese; salmon and cream cheese with red onions and capers (I wanted red peppercorns but the store didn’t have them); and Italian meats, eggplant, olives and mascarpone.  My aunt brought chips and chocolates, and we bought beers.   I enjoyed everything and when I told my aunt I was “thinking thin”, she told me she just wanted to look at herself in the mirror and love what she saw.  “Look at non-white women, joyfully full-figured” she pointed out, “they like themselves..”   Me too.
These were only a couple of the pearls that fell by the side of my road there.  I visited my parents grave, and the pond we all swam in years ago (the water so still it was a perfect mirror).  I drove my sister’s van, telling myself all the while what a good driver I am.  I went to the thrift store, bought Blair a shirt, too small, that fits Berlino.  I got a brilliant purple scarf.
My niece made a wonderful charcuterie platter while I was there.  I brought the best parmesan cheese from Italy.   She was delighted – and I felt there was someone who might carry on the tradition.
I'm not sure he liked it...
Sign up for Artnotes by contacting me at lfpessemier@gmail.com

INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting


Meeting ID: 880 9370 8954 Passcode: 886402

Rome 8PM; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles 11AM 

 



No comments: