Sunday, May 14, 2023

Artnotes: The Test

 


Roe Deer  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas   24 x 42"   60 x 106 cm  795.00
If you have never been in a room with 30 immigrants from a variety of counties, you are really missing something.  I felt like I belonged:  we were all awaiting our Italian literacy test, and all feeling very nervous.

Nobody had the advantage, except the teachers, one of whom was dressed in a dress-suit that was out of the pages of Vogue.  Even here socks and shoes were chic.  Only one of the test-takers looked great – a Moroccan woman with a most interesting oversized jacket in a black and white large chiclet pattern, and animal print boots.  The boots had little sparkles along the sole and around the aiglets – I wondered if she really liked that – they looked good but sparkle is sometimes a look killer for me.

We didn’t all have the same cultural mores.   Cheating seemed perfectly ok to some, including the man ahead of me who instructed me to turn over my paper so he could copy my answers.   He’d already been moved up from the back of the room and tried to get the other teacher to let him go back there.  One guy mistakenly was given the answer sheet, and immediately copied it all onto another sheet.  He had to be told to shut off his phone twice, which made me think he photographed the answer sheet.   He was mildly handsome, but leaning toward fat;  his eyes looked like he was wearing eyeliner.  I think the teacher thought he was cute and treated him with leniency.    

The teachers really wanted us to do well, a concept which warmed my heart and put me at ease.   Some teachers I’ve known had that sense of trying to hide knowledge, rather than impart it; testing times the worst, with maximum excuses to eliminate players.  It was probably for this reason I couldn’t eat all week and had such severe gastro issues I was in bed all day Friday.   I took 4 imodium for the trip to Modena .  I am hoping to recover now that the experience is over, but champagne may be delayed by a day or two.

We left the testing room in great spirits – the two hours flew by.  And I liked all the people we spent time with.
Wild Roses    Laurie Fox  Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  12 x  12"   30 x 30 cm 450.00
AND    ta-ta-ta-da:     WE PASSED!!!!!
Sign up for Artnotes by contacting me at lfpessemier@gmail.com


INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88093708954?pwd=M04zNHB4dFZkREp3bThweUd1YnVDZz09

Meeting ID: 880 9370 8954 Passcode: 886402

Rome 8PM; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles 11AM 
 

No comments: