Sunday, January 23, 2022

Artnotes: Strength

 

1/22/22 Roccamalatina, MO Italia
Poplars by the Panaro   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Lithograph 5.5 x 7"  14 x 18cm  75.00  (edition of 4)
I am in l o v e with making these lithographs.  Technically speaking, they are not perfect, not even close.   They are painterly:  impressionistic, expressionistic…   They are the Rodin, or maybe the kindergarten, of lithographs – recognizable and personal.   They are chockful of feeling, and of humor (laugh: my mantra of 2022).  Each one is different, and appealing in its own way.   It is their strength.
Hyacinthes   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 12 x 12"  30 x 30cm  450.00  (can be printed larger)
In our painting workshops, I always try to get the painters to develop their strengths, and forget those things they can’t do.  Forcing perspective, for example, makes the whole painting seem pained.  If you see form, paint form; if you see color, paint color.  If you want to go hog wild, DO!!! 
Venice at Night   Blair Pessemier  2 panel screen  48 x 32"  120 x 80cm acrylic/canvas  2500.00  
I feel this same way about most things in life.  Sometimes I look at before and after photos, and like the “before” better than the “after”.   I love that people are different sizes, shapes, colors, postures…lush hips, narrow shoulders, big crooked nose – those are the things that define a body, that critical element that allows us to interact with others.  
Pepper  \Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  11 x 14"  26  x 35 cm  (can be printed larger) 
I love my big mismatched Italian kitchen and wouldn’t trade it for a $20,000 makeover.  “This burner will reach 1,000 degrees,” a friend tells me about his new kitchen (I think about melting lead). Meanwhile, the maid leaves them yesterday’s coffee in the microwave for reheating in the morning.    I, on the other hand, can whip my five foot long rolling pin out of its kitchen table slot, and flatten pasta for an army.
Dog Lithographs   Laurie Fox Pessemier  
Today we are barbecuing in the backyard.  It’s foggy and cold, but the fire is warm, and the idea was irresistible.  I am rehearsing for a lunch on the banks of the Panaro, where there are really nice barbecue grills, and a little more warmth.   Socializing outdoors, only for the hardiest.
Today I marinated beef, oranges and onions.  We will slide them off the skewer, into a piadini, a sort of pita bread container.  I have another idea for chicken, and of course, we can always just do vegetables – squash, eggplant, onions, tomatoes...   I might even move the grill into our (unused, but cleaned) fireplace.   It’s easy to go wild these days.  That’s my strength.
Pepper   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Lithograph 5.5 x 7"  14 x 18cm  75.00  (edition of 4)

No comments: