Sunday, November 14, 2021

Artnotes: Surprise

 

Stimigliano, RI Italia
Gondola Lamp  Laurie Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  9.5 x 13"   24 x 32cm  375.00 
“How did you get all those lemons?  My tree doesn’t have any,” a neighbor kibitzed.   Yellowjackets  --those pesky stingers ate the mites off of my trees and now the lemons are ripening.  Sometimes a bad thing can be a good thing.  For example, mosquitoes protecting the rain forests and wetlands:  poor dears didn’t do enough, and Hadrian’s Villa was built anyway; the Suez and Panama canals continue to flow.  And now we’re genetically modifying mosquitoes.  I can somehow see a frightening result:  who said it’s not nice to fool Mother Nature? 
In Stimigliano    Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 10 x 18"  25 x 45cm  450.00
Lately, I’ve been making lithographs using household materials (aluminum foil and coca cola).  It’s an imprecise science for me, and enjoyable as such.  I loved printmaking when I was in art school, but because there were so many chemical mixes and processes involved, my practice fell by the wayside away from school. Contrary to the “ideal” of printmaking (that is, making identical perfect pictures), for me there is an added dimension:  unpredictability, surprise, genius.   A less than perfect plate introduces a ghost in front of the town hall.  My muse has the possibility of hopping into the picture. 
Lithographs:  Tree, Commune, Flowers    Laurie Fox Pessemier 6 x 4"  15 x 10cm  75.00
I like that about life, in general.  A friend wrote recently about how she took a class, and it wasn’t what she expected, but BETTER.  After we get through the initial shock of things not being what we expect, we are fresh and open to outrageous enjoyment.
Giuseppe's Peppers   Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 16 x 9.5"  40 x 25 cm  450.00 
 
My trip to Corsica was that way.  I sputtered and groused – but in the end it was more wonderful than I had imagined.  I did come away with a cold, that led to a cough.  It kept me inside, working on art. 
There was much hanging around our apartment this week.  We expected a delivery of two easy chairs on Monday They are wonderful chairs, sorely needed, as I have been reading in a reclining position for ages.  Harika used to like that I’d lay next to her on the bed and read, but now that she’s not there, it’s just weird.  With these chairs, I sit up and read, and can even throw a leg over the arm, Napoleon style.
Fall Weeds    Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  19.5 x 12"  48 x 30cm  450.00
I love how the universe works. And when we get lemons, we’ll make Limocello!
The Orange Tree  Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  10 x 10"  25 x 25cm  350.00


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM



Meeting ID: 856 2508 8767 Passcode: 887182

No comments: