Sunday, August 29, 2021

Artnotes: Never the Same

 

Grapes in a Vase  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  10 x 16"  25 x 40cm    450.00
No man ever steps in the same river twice.   Heraclitus
I remember when taking Italian lessons with the apostles (our gathering always resembled the Last Supper), our teacher told us none of us would ever be the same again, even if we did go back to Africa or America. My trips to France have never been as good as when I first went there, or like when I lived there.  I refer to going back to America as visiting “the old country”, as my grandmother used to refer to Poland.   Meanwhile, my Italian improves and I better understand certain customs (that I really like) here: adaptation.
Panaetius of Rhodes (Stoic) Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  10.5 x 16"  27 x 41cm  450.00
We catapulted from summer to winter this week.  From 80 degree nights to 55 degree nights in just 5 days – it gives me a (literal) headache.  We managed to swim three times, but as I sit typing in my sweater, I can’t imagine plunging in the icy water again this summer. On Tuesday, I purchased a plant needing full sun – by Thursday it jettisoned its single bloom and is looking like life is over.
Oleander in a Turquoise Vase Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/paper  25 x 17"  63 x 41cm   290.00
Did I wish this?  I admit I hoped for some relief from the heat, but the change is extreme.  I am not a “fall” person – I don’t like to see the butterfies disappear nor the flowers die. I don’t like the smell of fall, either.   On the other hand, I kind of like winter, with its rakish sun and naked trees; wild animals making tracks and seeing lights through the fog.   I’ll have to power through until Thanksgiving, I guess.
Antipater of Tarsus (Stoic series)   Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  10.5 x 16"  27 x 41cm  450.00
I don’t want to wish my life away.  I want to do something more with my life, and am half looking for a job/a project.   I loved Blair’s philosopher project – and we continue to read Stoic inspiration every morning.  When we get back down to Stimigliano, we might look for a little shop space to rent in Rome/Trastevere to sell art.   If tourism ever picks up again, we will be a success.   Meanwhile, I’ll try to do some art lessons online.  That is probably the more sensible way to think.  We can never go back to how it was.
Geraniums; Fan   Drawing on Ship Log's Paper  Laurie Fox Pessemier 8.5 x 14"  21 x 35cm  95 each


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LA 11AM


 

No comments: