Saturday, November 28, 2020

Artnotes: Better than a Real Camel

 

We will have our Salon on Sunday -- sorry have not sent the reminder Thursday, but it was overshadowed by turkey.

Pickup (chop)Sticks   Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  11 x 14"  27 x 35cm  425.00
I woke up Friday morning full of plans, ideas…  we spent a lovely Thanksgiving dinner the night before with my sister’s immediate family (on zoom), and a local friend (in person, socially distanced).    I didn’t sleep well, and the punch line from an ancient Alka-Seltzer ad rang in my ears:  “I can’t believe I ate the whole thing.”  In any case, I didn’t MIND not sleeping, as I had so much fun the night before.
Ivory Bead   Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  12 x 16"  30 x 40cm  425.00
Sleep has eluded me more often than usual over the past few months.  It started out as haunting insomnia in March, when Italy led the world in Covid deaths, but as time went on I started using the time, lying in the dark, not sleeping, to think things over.  Now, I get in bed early, to have an hour of reflection before rest.

Camel from la Marsa  11 x 14"  425
One of the ideas that I came up with during my nocturnal alert is the Advent calendar you are seeing here:  a picture of a door, which one swipes open (on Instagram), and a Christmas present behind it.  The door is mostly real (a photo) and the gift is painted.  Of course you can buy the painted gift, sometimes better than getting that real camel that you have to feed and walk.   I have thought up other art ideas, like painting the twelve days of Christmas – you saw some of them last week.    We’re percolating some bronze projects as well:  door handles, for one.  And I am going to get one of those heat-light gas lamps like on bar terraces, so I can paint outside at night (and we can eat beneath it, too).
Pasha Hat - Fur and Feather  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/paper  17 x 25"  41 x 63cm  325.00
Despite the positive aspects of spending time at home, I still long for a month to live in the Souk in Tangier; a trip on the Silk Road; six weeks in Senegal, Mali, Nigeria.   It is very hard to live as internally as we are now.  It may turn out that two days in Viterbo, or a week in Naples will be enough (I doubt it).  But there are months to go before we can really travel again.
Napoleon Stampbox  Blair Pessemier  acrylic/paper 9.5 x 12"  24 x 30cm  425.00
Meanwhile, Blair and I are walking in the Apennine woods near our house, every other day.  It started because I want to be able to travel in a “rough” style where we walk a lot, and don’t become too fixed on comfort.  Meanwhile, I feel greatly invigorated, and it occurs to me, if we keep strong we could potentially live a very long time.   I am even thinking of getting a bicycle.
Lamp   Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 17 x 25"  41 x 63cm  325.00
It’s hard to be vigilant about the virus right now.  Anne Frank made it to nearly the end of the war when tragedy struck.   I must keep wearing my mask on my nose, with my eye on the future.
Playing the Game   Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 17 x 25"  41 x 63cm  325.00

INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM


Laurie Pessemier is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85625088767?pwd=WldKRk9VbUVITWtRS0FFK2JwdGEwQT09 Meeting ID: 856 2508 8767 Passcode: 887182

If you would like to remote paint with us, sign up on www.pessemierworkshops.com    
 

ShareShare
TweetTweet
ForwardForward
PinPin

No comments: