Saturday, November 19, 2016

Artnotes: Face to Face


Persimmon Tree   Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  18 x 14"  45 x 35cm



 Ferrara's Market, New Haven Connecticut (this is one of my favorite ever pics, painted from the car in the parking lot)   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  16 x 20"  40 x 50cm
 Talking on the bench   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/wood   13.5 x 10"  33 x 26cm
 Going Shopping    Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas panel  12 x 12"  30 x 30cm
 Two on a bench with dog   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas    12 x 12"   30 x 30cm
 At the Chess Table in the Park   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12  30 x 30cm

Embrace   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic on wood with frame  10 x 6"  25 x 15cm  

Suddenly, I have so many more hours in the day!  No, it isn’t the dishwasher, and I didn’t get one of those run-around vacuums.   I have gotten off of Facebook.

The precipitating event, in case you can’t guess, was this horrible presidential race (regardless of who won and how you feel about it, we can agree the process leading up was tense and negative).   I was so wound up, I spoke inappropriately on several occasions, and there “it” sits in some file forever.  Anger, on line.  Therefore I quit Facebook, at least until December.   I am much more relaxed, and less distracted.    And lo and behold:  I have more time.

My thoughts are more free.  I have built an Etsy store, which I linked to my blog – go ahead check it out.   I am setting goals once again:  1000 new Artnotes subscribers by the end of the year.   I am thinking about, reflecting on, considering many things.

As in:  I’ve concluded it isn’t how many people like me, it’s how many people I like and do good for.  Because really, even though being loved is wonderful, LOVING is the act that brings one joy.   Harika wags her tail and flirts with the town curmudgeon.  He snarls.  Loving someone, be it your mate, your friend, your daughter, your dog, is the thing that feels good.  We have all had someone who loved us who we didn’t care about: they had the better end of the deal.    And I love many people, in so many different places, from so many different backgrounds, what’s the sense of stressing over those who don’t love me?

I awake with new painting ideas every day (this was a slow painting week, but I am recycling some of my favorite "people" images).   I am trying to get an “ambulante” (itinerant sales) card so we can sell paintings in markets.  I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday for all of my Italian school classmates.

I still think Facebook is ok for others, and I will (or Blair will) continue to post Artnotes there.  It's the same as TV for me, I just can't create a vital dialogue.  It can’t respond, I can’t respond:  we can’t settle anything. 


Speaking of which, Blair and I have been looking at gallery spaces, or perhaps an inexpensive (we will stay in Rocca Malatina, most of the time) in-city ground floor apartment.  Maybe just a temporary rental where we can connect with you face-to-face, cheek-to-cheek, belly-to-belly once again over art and coffee.  

No comments: