Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Hat

The Top Hat  Laurie Fox Pessemier   Block Print   75.00  8.5 x 14”

“I just love these events,” the man from Warren announced.  “I have rarely left Massachusetts, but I enjoy hearing everyone’s story.”   

We rented a stand (for two days) at the world famous Brimfield Market this week, and sold 16 paintings.   It’s a far cry from the 200+ remaining in our storage locker, but we still have three weeks to go.
Posies on a Dark Background  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  11 x 14 

The Brimfield Antique Market is a study in humanity.  Our stand was situated between a man from New Jersey selling Victorian reproduction armor, and a fellow who chewed (and spat!) tobacco, selling everything from license plates to top hats, old lawn furniture and cheap framed engravings.   The fellow across from us featured fur coats (a hard sell in 95+ degree, humid weather) and antique wheel chairs. 
The lake felt especially good after these excruciatingly hot days.   The water has been warming up.  I don’t experience that quick intake of breath any more as I slide in. 

Lifeguard takes a break  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  16 x 20” 

Long time friends stopped by Hemlock Lodge this weekend – we ate salads and fish, champagne and red wine – anything to not run the stove too long.   We sat on the porch in rocking chairs awaiting the occasional cool breeze.   We all jumped in the lake – swimming next to Bob, I said “I feel like we are sixteen again”.   In water, one doesn’t notice a slightly larger midriff and an achy knee.   I am swimming twice a day as Harika looks on from shore.
My cousin and a friend visited our stand at Brimfield just as we were getting ready to leave.  He and his girlfriend paint, and looked lovingly at each and every picture.  They bought one.  We are planning to paint together up by the lake.   Another friend, a sculptor, hopes to show with us next summer.  They have a house near Brimfield, and we’ll all stay together.   Meanwhile, Alma may take my paintings to market in May and September.
Cubana  Laurie Fox Pessemier   Blockprint  12 x 8.5” 

I loved seeing people, hearing everyone’s story from my side of the tent .   While there is the urge to earn money, just talking to people about what they do, what they are planning, their dream trip to Italy, is quite satisfying.  One veteran tells me,  “Before I boarded my Navy ship later that day, I gave my last waiter, who treated me like an Italian native, all of my Italian money.” 



PS.  Meanwhile, we’re having our famous “porch show” at 423 West Wakefield Boulevard, on Highland Lake, Winsted, CT    

No comments: