Saturday, May 28, 2016

A Breeze

 Yellow Roses in the Sun   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/wood 16 x 17.5"  40 x 44.5cm SOLD

 ​Red Roses   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  11.5 x 15.5"  29.5 x 39.5 cm
 ​Town of Montalbano  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 11.5 x 15.5"  29.5 x 39.5 cm  SOLD

 ​An Italian Garden  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12"  30 x 30 cm 

 ​View from Pieve   Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  11.5 x 19.5"  29.5 x 49.5cm  SOLD


Baptistry at Pieve di Trebbio   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12"  30 x 30cm SOLD

Artnotes:   A Breeze

We drove hundreds of kilometers this week – we visited the beach, Modena, and Tabiano; we drove around Zocca and painted in Montalbano.   It was a week of sunshine and warm temperatures.  Our grass, yet to be mowed, has crested the six-foot-fence around the yard.

I think about us, Harika and the chickens wandering in what the Great Plains of the US must have been like in ancient times.  No telling who or what we will bump into out there.   When the giant mower came to another yard in Rocca Malatina, it startled a full-size deer hidden in the grass.   We may have wild pigs, a bison, or spacemen: the things science fiction is made of.

The roses are in bloom.  I want to rush out and pick a bunch, as I write this.  Roses all over Emilia Romagna are fabulous this year.   I painted someone’s garden in Montalbano.  It was full of pansies, and roses and statuary – the owner, who came out to see, was as wild and free as the garden, dressed in white linen with fluffy red hair piled on her head.  I would have liked to have added her to the picture.

Everyone in the little town of Montalbano (population 36) passes by to look at what I am painting.  Nobody tells me to move on; in fact, they embrace the attraction.   I am amazed how little Italian language I really know, but, at the same time, I am impressed with how much I do:  keep on.   There is a light wind and the sun is hot; the smells of mowed grass and acacia put me in the mind of California.  Maybe it is why so many Italians went there.

I am anticipating our trip to America at the end of June.  We are bringing about 50 of our best paintings, and will be selling the 300+ images in our storage locker in Riverton, Connecticut.   I am reviewing venues from Ali Baba to Ebay, tent sales and porch shows.    I am looking forward to it – after so many months in Italy, selling in English will be a breeze.



No comments: