Sunday, December 13, 2015

Artnotes: Like a Bird


 Trees in the Early Morning   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/linen  9.5 x 13"  24 x 33cm  
 ​First Rays   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/linen   9.5 x 14"   24 x 35 cm
 Pink Sky   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/linen  10 x 12"  25 x 30cm

 Fog in the Valley    Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/linen   15 x 18"  37.5 x 46 cm    
​Persimmons on the trees  Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/linen  19.75 x 12"  50 x 30cm
​Persimmons in Winter  (actually turquoise blue, which doesn't register on the camera)  Laurie Fox Pessemier   Block print  3.5 x 5"  9 x 12.5 cm

Artnotes:  Like a Bird

“Try this one.” V shows me a five gallon bottle of odd green liquid.

Oh no, no, thank you.

“It’s made from a plant, Ortica.”  His partner steps outside and returns, trying to hand me a stinging nettle. He holds it gingerly.  

I imagine a prickly throat. 

After a plastic shot glass full of grappa (“only 43%” they assure me), we left the Alpini with a half bottle of Ortica liqueur and a warm feeling.  People are always surprised we moved from Paris to Rocca Malatina, Italy, but we love it here.  We loved Paris, too, but the big change of 2015 has been fabulous.

I am looking forward to holiday festivities here.  A friend is buying us a butterball turkey at the PX in Pisa, and I am inviting anyone who wants to come (call first, so I make enough mashed potatoes).   It could be an opportunity to serve the Ortica liqueur.   We are invited to partake of the traditional “seven fish” on Christmas Eve in Modena.  And tomorrow we go to a Christmas party in the country.  Cookie baking is on the agenda.  I’ve already made those nutty crescents…

I have been doing artwork all week, working toward the perfect card (it may just be electronic this year, considering $2+ postage).  I have painted pictures and made woodcuts.   I am enjoying the woodcuts tremendously, and they get better and better.   I am offering a Woodcut package:  For $100.00, I will send you, anywhere in the world, four woodcuts throughout the year.  They will be printed on high quality, acid-free paper, so they will last forever, and they would be good to have individually or as a set, or would make a nice gift.   

The Rocca Malatina ambulance drivers got to go practice new driving maneuvers at the Ferrari racetrack today – now I understand why the ambulance service has so many volunteers.   It's not just an organization of ambulance activities -- they sponsor events in the town, like a pair of bagpipe players to walk the streets on Christmas Eve, and hot mulled wine after midnight mass.

The sun has been shining up here in the mountains, as the lower-lying cities have been blanketed in fog.  The temperature is actually cooler down below, and the “ice” warning flashes on the dashboard of the cream puff.  It is the most curious thing living at this altitude: I feel like a bird.

No comments: