Sunday, August 27, 2023

Artnotes: In the Dark

 


Akhel Teke  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  18 x 23.5"  45 x 60cm   590.00
The Akhal-Teke is a Turkmen horse breed. They have a reputation for speed and endurance, intelligence, and a distinctive metallic sheen. The shiny coat of the breed led to their nickname, "Golden Horses". 
When I was a child, my aunt used to visit her friend Marie. My aunt didn’t work on Mondays, so she took care of me that day.  Marie was a ladies companion; the woman she cared for was an invalid.  The old woman (Margaret?) slept on the main floor, and she got around in old large wheeled cane chair and wielded long scissor-like pincers to pick things up.  Marie herself was unusual – she had a fur coat, sparkly jewelry and often wore lacy, decorative underwear around the house.  I recall an incident of black bloomers in the grocery store, but I can’t be sure.  She applied makeup in this dark house, so when she got outside she had big red circles on her cheeks and overly-dramatic eyes.    The house had black brocade curtains (I eventually ended up with them) that reached from floor to ceiling over extremely narrow windows.   It was in a word, eerie.  I liked going there because it was so spooky and cool (temperature-wise). I liked the exotic Marie, a lot.  The old woman eventually donated the house to the church and it was used as the convent.
Wine Bottles with Peach   Laurie Fox Pessemier Acrylic on Canvas  16 x 10.5"  41x 27cm  375.00
This scenario comes to mind as we sit out the heat here in Roccamalatina (102 degrees at the moment).   The downstairs of our house, the old horse stable, actually stays pretty cool inside if we shut all the shades and windows.  Maybe that was the deal with Marie?  She kept the house cool by keeping it dark.   In fact, I went to the cafĂ© this morning with my skirt inside out for lack of seeing indoors.   We have a selection of fans.  The problem is at night, when the stone structure, which has been absorbing heat all day, transmits its warmth into the interior of the dwelling.  The upstairs thermostat, where I get the inside temperature, stops at 28 (82.4 Fahrenheit): it’s been blank for three solid days and nights.
The Wedding Dance   Laurie Fox Pessemier  28 x 20"  70 x 50cm Commission (from AI image)
We’re swimming daily and eating "cooler"..  I made an interesting peach and chili pepper cold soup yesterday, with peaches from the fruit stand on the dirt road between the Fountain of Youth and our house.  The farmer is a scary looking fellow, with way too many teeth and a gnarly frame (could have been a friend of Marie’s.  Did I mention she was Italian?).  I pay my 2.50 for the kilo of fruit and leave. 
Circus Scenes (for our upcoming show) Blair Pessemier  Pencil on Paper 4 x 4"  10 x 10cm   90 each
Blair and I are painting commissions.  I have an unusual one, in which I am painting an AI generated image, giving it a “made by a human” touch.    I am not 100% sure about this concept – but it’s challenged me in new ways, and I kind of like it. The client is a company that does this sort of thing; I continue painting.   I just hope I get paid.   I know the temperature will drop soon.
Sign up for Artnotes by contacting me at lfpessemier@gmail.com

INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting