Sunday, January 29, 2023

Artnotes: Very Tough Dogs

 

Judge's Hat (France)  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  16 x 12"  40 x 30   550.00
I woke up at 3:52 this morning and had a hard time going back to sleep.  Sometimes it seems I should be thinking, more deeply than I have been.  I have been reading a new swimming book that likens thinking and swimming:  the deeper the water the better, the more satisfying.
 
I worked a little in my studio this week, on my medallions in terra cotta (shown here unfinished).  I bumped into a young man in the piazza and spoke to him in English.  Where are you from I asked him, “Lagos”.   Most immigrants here are from that part of Africa, and speak English.  It was a great relief to both of us to converse in our language. 
French Postman's Hat  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas   14 x 12" 35 x 30cm   550.00
“Why don’t you have children?” he wanted to know.  I let him know I couldn’t have children, which lowered me in his his esteem, and when I said I really didn’t want them anyway, my reputation dropped significantly.  Finally, I suggested he go, I wanted to work, and that was that.  How differently we all think in this world.  I guess in Africa, there is more need for children to take care of the elders later on     I think about his man, so eager to thrive, that he would risk his life traversing the Mediterranean.   For many people here, he is written off as a nuisance tourist who lost his wallet.
Flying Fish for a friend's House   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/crayon/paper
We’ve been walking down by the Tiber with Berlino this week although the banks are still a bit spongy from heavy rain.   Our usual walk was partially blocked by what we thought was a movie screen.  Rather, it was a movie set, along the riverbank.    The next day we walked from the other side of the river (which had huge puddles) to see what it looked like -- totally believable except there was no real roof. 
Toque   Blair  Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 16 x 12"  40 x 30cm  550.00  
Suddenly, a herd of sheep and their dog handlers started down the path.  We bolted for the car, with a tight rein on Berlino.  Not because Berlino wants the sheep, but the sheep dogs are positively vicious if they see any living thing paying attention to their sheep.  Those dogs are all business, no play. Those are very tough dogs.
Coin Silver Spoons  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/crayon/paper  25  x 17"  63 x 41cm   290.00


INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88093708954?pwd=M04zNHB4dFZkREp3bThweUd1YnVDZz09

Meeting ID: 880 9370 8954 Passcode: 886402

Rome 8PM; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles 11AM