Sunday, November 27, 2022

Artnotes: Any Minute

 

A Pair of Jacks   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/oilcrayon/canvas   10 x 14"  25 x 35cm  450.00
What is it about rain that makes me feel so down?  Blair and I lived in Seattle for ages, undaunted by grey skies and mist.   Now, more than a few hours of rain can totally drown my spirit.  So we’ve packed up our foggy Roccamalatina tent and moved four hours south to Stimigliano.   We feel encouraged at once.   All the stars were out this morning at 5-ish:  twinkly and bright, alongside a sliver of a moon.
The Brazier  Laurie Fox  Pessemier  Acrylic/wood   13.5 x 9.5"  35 x 24 cm  450.00
I don’t mind winter, in fact.  I love that the trees are bare and I can see things I can’t the other three seasons of the year.  The light is at a rakish angle, and the golden color and purple shadows can’t be beat. 
Neopolitan Christmas  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  23.5 x 17.5"  60 x 45cm   680.00
I am starting my new “Advent Calendar” project on Instagram ( @lauriepessemier ) today:  swipe the door to see another dog of Christmas.   Blair’s painted a large “village on a hill” that house all the dogs, were this to be an actual advent calendar on paper.  I think the paper wouldn’t be such a difficult thing to produce– getting the dogs properly into the windows and doorways would be the thing.   There’s probably an app for that.   I’ll have to consider it.  I seem to recall my mother using the same Advent calendar year after year, but maybe that was someone else.   Just close all the doors, and it’s good as new.
Door Zocca   Blair Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  14 x  9.5"  35 x 24 cm  450.00    
I am so enthusiastic about the holidays.   Here in Stimigliano we are just a few miles away from the first Nativity re-enactment.  St. Francis initiated it a Greccio in 1223.   Certain elements remain.   We went there a few years ago, and I remember snow falling as we arrived.  The whole thing was magical.  
Our Magical House in Paris    Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/panel  16 x 10.5"  41 x 27cm  390.00  
I am not so Catholic but I do enjoy the celebration of the earth completing its orbit around the sun.  Spring is on the wing, of sorts.    While it is sad to have rain, snow is covering our mountain, Cimone, up north, insuring water for the flowers.   Down here in Stimigliano, the Tiber is running high.  The sheep have come down from their summer pastures, and I expect the little drummer boy any minute.
Monte Cimone Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/crayon/paper 8 x 9.5"  20 x 25cm  250.00


INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88093708954?pwd=M04zNHB4dFZkREp3bThweUd1YnVDZz09

Meeting ID: 880 9370 8954 Passcode: 886402

Rome 8PM; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles 11AM