Sunday, June 06, 2021

Artnotes: Flexible

 


Missing the Boat  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  20 x 28  "  50 x 70 cm  650.00
You may be interested to know as many of my ideas fall by the wayside as those I complete.  In fact, maybe only one or two out of ten of my schemes reach fruition.  I have abandoned my 500 words a day, for example, looking back and realizing that I really didn’t have any solid idea in mind.  I am no longer walking three times or more a week, my gouty foot tripping me up.  I am not sure I’ll make it to pizza school, but I still have 6 months of this year to go.   I am thinking of buying a sewing machine.
Iris   Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  18 x 13  "  46 x 33 cm  450.00
I don’t regret my ambitions, and I really think having lots of different goals is a good thing.  I can temper my ideas to match reality.
I’ve been reading The Daily Stoic and the 3 June theme was “It is well to be flexible”.  It was Seneca who put this thought to paper.  If you can’t do one thing, try another.   That’s me all over.
The Sultan   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  24 x 20"  60 x 50cm  SOLD
I’ve found inspiration in new places recently.  I’ve long admired a piece of Turkish fabric we have and put it into a painting this week.  One of my most loved poems became the backdrop for a small painting of a boat on the Bosphorus.  These are larger works for me, and took a longer time and some thought to execute.
Vasco Rossi   Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 22 x 18"  55 x 46cm  650.00
Blair painted a portrait of Vasco Rossi, an Italian rock star, in anticipation of renting a gallery space in Zocca in August. Rossi is a Zocca native. Although the gallery may be one of “those” ideas:  a 100 square foot space without a toilet or electricity was offered at 600 euros.  It’s dirty and full of junk.   Italians, like all Europeans, think Americans are rich.  We walked away from the deal.   Maybe something else will emerge.
Harika turned 14 this week.  "I didn't get this old without watching out for myself"...
We visited an art show in Ravenna this week.  It featured art from the time of Dante’s exile.  We saw paintings by Giotto and Cimabue; manuscripts (as good as or better than French work done a century later) and fabulous sculptures executed by Pisano and others, between 1301 and 1320. 
Dog Carved in Stone at Dante Show   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/paper  8 x 9"   20 x 23cm  90.00
Dante was an intense character, living during the turbulent times of the Guelfs (stood behind the papacy) and the Ghibbelines (supporters of the emperors), a fight centered in his beloved Florence.  He was sentenced to death, and fled across Italy, eventually dying and being buried in Ravenna.   He was flexible.
European Hoopoe (we just saw him in Roccamalatina), who migrates from Tunisia each spring.     Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/antique paper  14 x 8"35 x 23cm   90.00


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM


 


 

No comments: