Sunday, March 07, 2021

Artnotes: Whatever Comes to Mind

 


The Day Spring Came  Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  9.5 x 12 "  24 x 30 cm
450.00
This was a sunny week in Italy.   We are in Stimigliano, where it’s possible to sit outside much of the day.  It’s great for dogs; and humans, too.  We aren’t entertaining in our house, but we manage every day to visit a bit with people outdoors.
The Quince   Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 16 x 12"  40 x 30 cm   450.00
In fact, this week we had a party!  A picnic, at the Parco San Valentino.  I mentioned last week we met some Argentinians getting their Italian citizenship.  Well, this week they got it!  We saw an excuse for Prosecco, and we all met outdoors at 1 o’clock on Thursday.    I made chicken, Blair made a pie; a South American friend made a pasta salad.  Everyone brought something, chips, drinks…   And music.  We listened to an international mix and it warmed my heart.  There is hope for the planet.
Blossoms on the Tree  Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 10.5 x 14"  27 x 35cm   450.00
Blair’s been practicing his Italian on the street, as he paints the trees in flower.  Everyone has something to say.   He’s painted apricot blossoms and surrounding olive trees, on the hills falling away from via Giovanni XXIII.  I have been in the studio, cooking up some crazy sculptures and trying to paint with stucco.  I have the occasional visitor.  Trying to explain in Italian that we like our studio to look that way (ROMANTIC!) isn’t easy.  My key word 2020 was “romantic”; it’s been moved to 2021.
Blues and Greys  18 x 15"  46 x 38cm    Greens and Pinks  16 x 13"  41 x 33cm  Blair Pessemier  450 each
Italy is struggling terrifically with the vaccine, as is much of Europe.  We are not a country designed for a “roll out”.  My eighty-something friend is getting her vaccine this week, but even the 70 year olds (one a doctor) see no solution in sight.
I’ve thought about flying to the US to get my shot in my home state of Connecticut, but I have deep concern about a trip through the airport.  Even younger people I know are avoiding air travel because those lines in the airport can be super-spreader events.   I haven’t been in the US for nearly 3 years now, and it looks like 2022 might be my first chance.
Man with Umbrella  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  10.5 x 8"  27 x 20cm  450.00
It’s been interesting to have two feet in Europe.  When my father was alive, I went back to the old country at least twice a year. I had, on average, 50 American visitors a year.  I was really an American living in Europe.  Add to that the virus, and now I am NOT really that American in Europe anymore.   My focus is being HERE.   I don’t paint pictures just to sell in America any more.  Size doesn’t matter.   I might end up in the expressionist-impressionist style (that I love) again, but for now I am experimenting with clay, and stucco and whatever style comes to mind.   


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM


Laurie Pessemier is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Join Zoom Meeting

 


 

No comments: