Sunday, February 28, 2021

Artnotes: The Magic of Italy

View this email in your browser

Magic Lumache (sea snails)  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  9 x 10.5 "  23 x 27 cm
350.00
“Romans have been using this remedy for 3,500 years,” the doctor announced.  I’d taken it for a day and felt like I was in another world.  I won’t go as far as saying I was having hallucinations, but I didn’t like to close my eyes.   I looked it up.  There were articles suggesting one take a half tablet at breakfast, then another half an hour later.  Repeat at lunch and dinner.  It was a medicine with the instruction to “use your judgement” like how much salt to add to spaghetti sauce.  Meanwhile, there were toxicity warnings.
Oudoors in February (Vescovio)  Blair  Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 13 x 16"  33 x 41cm   450.00
I had my worst-ever case of gout this week, something that hasn’t happened for a year, and four years before that.  I think it might have been the Lumache (sea snails), we gorged ourselves on over the weekend (or the oysters, or scotch whiskey?).   My doctoressa in Roccamalatina recommended Colchicine, which is now being used as a Covid19 treatment.  It was originally harvested from the Autumn Crocus.  The Romans used it for their gout, and other maladies. 
Mount Etna, my foot...  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 13 x 16"  33 x 41cm   450.00
I tried to describe how my entire foot and ankle were swollen like I’d stuck it into Mount Etna.   So I asked the doc if I could please have steroids, as a backup.  They always work, almost immediately.  She sniffed, probably standing on her pretty 30 year old ankle.  How could she imagine my huge, burning, stump?  Finally she agreed, pointing out it might not work right away. 
Trees: painting on uneven ground   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  10.5 x 16"  27 x 41cm  450.00
The town of Stimigliano got involved.  With phone calls and urgent pleas, the local doctor agreed to see me.  “Signora, signora, don’t get up!”  I could see the shock in his face.   I thanked him for confirming it was gout (by this time it looked like elephantiasis).  I was touched by the concern of our neighbors and him.
Friday morning I took my first prednisone tablet.  In two hours I was hepped up like Barry Bonds in the Batting Box (a former baseball great, banned from the Hall of Fame for steroid doping), and I could negotiate to the bathroom (still feeling the result of the crocuses).
Violets and Hyacinths   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  10 x 12"  25 x 30cm  250.00
My studio is open once again, and people are stopping by.  I had almost 20 visitors on Saturday, and met a new English speaking woman, setting up a B&B in the borgo.   A group of Argentinians came to chat.  A man from Cantelupo looked at paintings we did side-by-side in his town last week.  “My Father lives there!” he announced.  I love the Magic of Italy.
I'm working on my sculptures:  Queen, Satyr, Bird head, Nomad...


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM


Laurie Pessemier is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Join Zoom Meeting

 


 

 

No comments: