Monday, April 27, 2020

Artnotes: The Virtual Life


Two Meyer Lemon Trees  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas 10.5 x 16"  27 x 40cm   325.00
I am planning that 2020 is going to be pretty much a quarantine year.  I think we may be able to move around in our car this summer, but I doubt there will be much chance of any group activity, like dining out or going to a show.  No travel, no guests.  Since 9 March we haven’t been able to drive anywhere, without papers saying we’re going to the doctor, pharmacy or grocery.  The good news is I haven’t had sciatica! (nor the virus, thank god)
Train Line (view out window)   Blair Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   18 x 24"  40 x 60 cm   475.00
I spent this week creating a little movie for a gallery putting together a program on “artists’ lives”.  Our clip, Pessemiers in Stimigliano, focuses on our Sabina gig, where we have been since mid-February.  It has been good here, our house being warm, our neighbors kind, my jasmine in fragrant bloom. 

I have learned a lot about making a film, examining as many Youtube videos as I have these last weeks.   This week I watched bits on Robert Indiana, Helen Frankenthaler, Margaret Bourke White; took a walk through the Forum, and Santa Maria della Vittoria (Bernini’s St Theresa d’Avila).   Of course, my video doesn’t approach the professional level of any of these.  I made mine with my telephone and this ancient (5+year old) laptop.  There’s a certain jiggly nature, and although I thought of giving the film an “old timey” filter, I didn’t really need to, it being as primitive as it is.
 
Pessemiers in Stimigliano, film    https://youtu.be/BqqsM4Agbec
I am still having a terrible time sleeping at night, probably because I get no exercise.  Gymnastics are out of the question in this house, and Harika, our ticket to the outdoors, walks like she is 100 years old.   We can only venture 500 meters (1/3 mile) from our door with her, and that takes her 30 minutes, to and from.   Hopefully we will make it to the Apennines, Rocca Malatina, by May.

The story from various officials here varies.  Some say we can go home; others that say if we have a place to stay here, we must stay put; we can travel for medical care, but that seems a stretch and I hate to jinx my good health.   From the commune (city hall), to the local police, to the carbinieri it’s all different.  If we get caught traveling without authorization, the fine can be as much as 3,000 euros, so we’re hoping things ease up on the 3 May.  I want to plant my garden for real.
Time to Join the Circus Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   16  x 10.5"  30 x 27cm   325.00

No comments: