Sunday, April 19, 2020

Artnotes: Little Green Men

Marcella Proust  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas  16 x 12"  40 x 30cm   325.00
I feel like Marcel Proust.  As I dunk the scone (Blair made) into my coffee, I can recall the coconut chocolate chip cookies from Hayes’ bakery in Winsted. I remember the store, the little old ladies, the box, the string. In fact, I can remember the details of each day of my life up until now.  I can recall what songs were playing in the late 60s (“Traces of Love”?  I mean, really), what I wore (3 sizes smaller), what I ate, what everyone said (especially cringeworthy comments on my part).   Were all of this more interesting, I might write it down.
Bluebells in the Forest (after Mercatello)  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   12 x 16"  30 x 40 cm   325.00
When I read the autobiography of John Mortimer, or the Letters of Anne Morrow Lindbergh (Against Wind and Tide), I realize writing a book is a lot to do, not to mention my life is not exactly book material.  It occurs to me that people who write books, good books, have something to say.  Right now, Peter Carey is building an automated swan, as his heroine grieves.   I’ll bet in a year the bookshelves will have tons of books from these plague months.  It will be fun to read what was really going on right next door.

 
Comune, Stimigliano  Blair Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   20 x 27.5"  50 x 65cm   675.00
We’ve weathered the storm, so far, in the Borgo of Stimigliano.  Buildings, mostly from the 1500s, are chined together atop a rocky hill.  Narrow, cobblestoned streets lead one into the other, to a renovated (as in 1800s) town hall.   I hear giggling from the corner; a motorcycle starting and being shut off;  a cat cries.  There are frogs down below, croaking.  Luigi sings from his balcony.  Federico announces his own arrival.  Alessandro has taken to tending the plants in the piazza.   I hear snippets of conversation mostly about when this will all end.  If I move up North to the big house in  Rocca Malatina, it will be lonelier.
Still Life with Local Jasmine  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   16  x 10.5"  30 x 27cm   325.00
Sometimes I wake up and think, ok, today we’ll go to the beach.  Then reality sets in:   No, not the beach.  Maybe, if Harika will walk that far, we’ll go to the neighbor’s yard.   I appreciate the fact the sky is clear, with significantly less pollution.   I am enjoying our breakfasts at home (so is Harika).  I am going so much slower than I ever did.
Little Green Man  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   16 x 12"  40 x 30cm   325.00
I’ve been thinking about little green men.  Honestly, we have an unimaginable pandemic, earthquakes galore, why not a visit from outer space?  Landing conditions are much clearer.
 

No comments: