Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Artnotes: Epiphany

Institute de France  Blair Pessemier    Pencil/paper   12 x 16"  30 x 40cm   75.00
from our France notebooks
Leave it to the Italians to string out Christmas at least as long as Americans.  The season officially starts on the 8 December, the feast of the Immaculate Conception, when we hang up our Christmas decorations.  It continues through today, 6 January, the day the kings arrived at the manger, the Epiphany.   Here, Befana, the witch, arrives, bearing yet more candy for the children.
Christmas Lights, Rue de Rennes  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/wood 13 x 7"  33 x 18cm   100.00
And it’s not really a “buying” season here, its all about families getting together.  If you don’t have a family, or a very small one like Blair, Harika and I you make do.  But typically families sit at tables set for 22 or so.  There was a time my family was that big (actually bigger), but nowadays we’re stripped down.   It is a different age, what I think of as an evolved age.
In the News  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas    9.5 x 6"  25 x 15cm   100.00
We’re evolving all the time, and that comes in the form, at least to me, of Epiphanies.  I have had several in my life, when that lightning bolt of intelligence hits me right between the eyes.  And then, somehow this revelation just becomes part of everyday life, making thing clearer, more easy to navigate.
Montalbano (MO)  Blair Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   12 x 18"  30 x 45cm   175.00
As an example, my first memorable big epiphany came when I was in MBA school.  I got in my car, angry and frustrated with those creeps in my class, when I realized, not everyone thinks like I do.  Once I got that piece of information under my belt, life became much easier. It was probably a more valuable thing than my MBA, which I eventually abandoned.
Flower Headboard   Blair Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas    16 x 20"   40 x 50cm   275.00
a friend called it a "bed you could die in"  (since sold)

 
People have epiphanies all the time, but they go by unnoticed.  I actually encourage these flashes of insight, by waking up at 4 or 5 every morning and thinking about things I need an answer to.  When Blair and Harika rise closer to 7, I am chockful of bright thoughts, some not surviving the light of day.
New Shoes  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/wood  16 x 7.5"  100.00
My girlfriend gave me a “form” to fill out regarding my New Years goals.  What were my greatest accomplishments last year? What do I hope to accomplish this year?  My initial reaction was that I need to make so much money per month, hone my website and then, I thought, No.  This year I am going to live my life according to my own rules.
The form goes on.  What will be your mantra?  Romance.  I am going to lead 2020 as a year of beauty, and inspiration and joy:  a Romantic life.   Why not?  Everyone else will win the money race, the achievement race, but I can do something that matters to me.
In Villefranche sur Mer  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  35 x 28"  89 x 71 cm  650.00
 
I know you are all laughing, but honestly...  What would you rather do?  Paint your bedroom wall magenta or apply for a higher paying job?  Buy candles for the table or a pair of tight fitting shoes?  Well, some people might disagree.

And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been.    (Rilke)
Oh, Harika   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/wood  10 x 20"  25 x 50cm   100.00

These are pictures from our archives, because we are painting three custom portraits right now.  Would you like one?  Contact me directly at lfpessemier@gmail.com.
Was this email forwarded to you?  Sign up for your own subscription to Artnotes.


No comments: