Sunday, January 08, 2023

Artnotes: I Tube, You Tube

 

Berlino Delacroix   Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 18 x 15"  46 x 38cm   550.00
 
 I’ve been watching youtube videos about terra cotta bas relief (sculpture that projects from a flat surface– in relief, just a little).  I have been making medallions from clay – dogs, fish, people: whatever seems interesting.  The clay takes on a life of its own – if it doesn’t WANT to be a king, it won’t be.  I am in the early stages. 

These medallions are little things, easy to work with and transport.  I always fall into my medieval phase at this time of year, thinking of packing up my rugs and small bits of art and moving to a warmer climate.   Who knows, maybe I can make them into bronze or some other metal.  We will pack up our wagon and go south.

It’s amazing what one can learn from the internet.  I just stretched a pair of red boots that I bought online, that despite their designated large size, are way too small.  So I put plastic bags of water in them and let them freeze, pushing at their limits (the ad claimed the material was leather, but clearly is not).  Although I wouldn’t walk more than a mile in the boots, they are considerably improved.
We are going to be moving, temporarily, not to a warmer clime, but a better setting:   to a new, stimulating art environment.  In February.  We will be resident artists at the Maison de Simon, in Normandy, France until mid March.  Of course, Berlino is coming, too.  We are all beyond excited with the prospect.  Counting the days.  January is a long month.

I wrote to a friend about this, “I know, Normandy in February," expecting admonishment.   He writes back, “One of my best experiences in my life was riding my bicycle in Normandy in the winter…I was wet, and cold and drank Calvados in a bar with old men.”  I thank him.  It isn’t the weather, it is when you are ready for something.
Hats for Hats Make the Man  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  various sizes about 400.00 each
Blair has all sorts of ideas for new artwork already, some of them displayed here.  He is also building actual items relating to people and their acquired identities (hats).   The artists’ residence is set up for ceramics, so I can continue with my medallions and fire them myself.  Currently, I am relegated to delivering my production to a kiln given over to firing spoon rests and decorative olive oil stoppers – not terrible, but I am never there when it goes in or comes out, and I can’t see what’s working or not.   In fact, maybe my medallions are like spoon holders.  Not exactly, and certainly not in the normal concave sense.
Hats Make the Man   Blair Pessemier assorrted sizes, prices please inquire
I will be doing some very large painting as well.   I have a whale I’ve been wanting to put to canvas, and life sized humans, maybe wearing red boots.   I am thinking of recording our time there for youtube.


INVITING All Artists to present their Work:   Paint, Literature, Crafts, Food....


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary
 

How it works: Bring a piece of your ART: that could be visual, like painting or printmaking; or literary, as in poetry or prose; or crafts, like metalwork or knitting; or food, or music.  Something you made, or feel particularly inspired by.  You have about 5 minutes to present, and we'll ooh, ahh, or answer questions you have.  You can also come and see how we work before diving in.  Just show up on Zoom at a minute or two before the hour.   
No selling, no networking until after everyone has presented.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88093708954?pwd=M04zNHB4dFZkREp3bThweUd1YnVDZz09

Meeting ID: 880 9370 8954 Passcode: 886402

Rome 8PM; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles 11AM