Saturday, December 04, 2021

Artnotes: True or Not

 

Stimigliano, RI Italia
Rooftops, Rome   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12"  30 x 30cm  450.00
Last night, we drove, in an unrelenting downpour, to Rome, to hear an art historian talk about “Crusader Art”, more specifically the Illuminated Missal of Acre.   It was a prayer book, calendar, bible with illustrations, created around 1300 c.e.    I love manuscript illumination, and for me, it was a great opportunity to learn about one in my neighborhood.  The Missal of Acre  is housed and displayed on a regular basis in Perugia, where the Canons of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre relocated to after Jerusalem fell to Saladin.  It was not a stellar lecture, like some we have heard there, but it dovetailed nicely with a book I have been reading.
The Forum   Blair  Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  12 x 19.5"   30 x 48cm  490.00 
Going to Rome is always a treat.  We usually don’t do much when we are there, but just love the look of masculine (style) buildings, the old ladies, the dog walkers.  Italian men hang outside of their little pizza joints, arms folded high on their chests.  We can smell spaghetti and exhaust fumes. 
Rome Street  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvasboard 11.5 x 8"  450.00
There are times I wonder why I don’t just live THERE, in Rome, instead of  Stimigliano, a small town.  But then A comes by and asks if he can hang my Christmas lights over the street, and installs a new plug on my extension cord.  Our neighborhood is the TOP for Christmas decorations in Stimigliano Borgo. 
Lithographs:  Viking (7.5 x 5.5") Teapot  (7 x 9.5")   Laurie Fox Pessemier  125.00 each
I have been plying the pages of a book “Veritas”.  It was recommended by a friend and is really quite interesting. It involves art history (my field), forgery and academia.   It has a more masculine voice than I usually read, but it's ok.  The description: “a thriller for eggheads” is most apt.   It is the story of the “gospel of Mary Magdalene”.
A Rose is a Rose  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas 12 x 9.5"  30 x 25 cm  450.00 
 
The book is reminiscent of the lecture I went to:  the lecturer had some specific ideas about this item, and even though it wasn’t clear that all the pieces fit, she stuck by her feeling.  It is always surprising to me how liberal arts scholarship is so different than a mathematical proof.  It is the ultimate “fake it till you make it”  approach, and is approved, in fact, embraced, as such.  I guess these last few years of fake news has made me a curmudgeon.
By the Tiber   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/canvas  16 x 24"  40 x 60cm  680.00
We had a sunny day and a half this week, and I made Christmas decorations.  I am not into proving Christmas is true or not, right or wrong, but I love lights and sparkle and the generous spirit it inspires.
 


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM



Meeting ID: 856 2508 8767 Passcode: 887182
 

ShareShare
TweetTweet
ForwardForward
PinPin

No comments: