Sunday, December 27, 2020

Artnotes: Playing the Juke Box

 

Modena Rooftops, Snow   Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canva  12 x 18"  30 x 45 cm
450.00
When I was 40, my sister threw a birthday party.  I was at the party for a good half an hour before I realized the party was for me.  Even the balloons with photos of my youth didn’t register. I never think of myself as the center of the action.
Oh my darlin', Clementine   Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/paper 17 x 25"  41 x 63cm  350.00
I like to entertain, to cook, to create a situation where I can be on the sidelines of the fun.   The house we live in now has a dining room for 14 and has been used for such many Sundays until 2020.  During our summers at Hemlock Lodge we hosted even bigger dinners, changed into bathing suits, jumping in the lake before our hour was up.  Wildly fun.   It is always difficult for me to interact with just one other person at a table (Blair excepted); I really don’t like to talk.  So this year’s Christmas lockdown in Italy, limiting us to only two people, was impossible.
Fish Tales  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 9.5  x 14"   24 x 35 cm   450.00
We passed our 14th Christmas with our dog, Harika, this year.  She ate a bit too much turkey which plunged her into a deep afternoon slumber.  That used to happen with another dog of mine.   We only cooked a turkey leg, but it weighed nearly 5 pounds.  With just the two of us, we’ll be eating it for a week.
The Juke Box (Abruzzi Pizza, Seattle)   Blair Pessemier  acrylic/canvas 12 x 16"  31 x 41cm  450.00
My parents liked parties when I was young.  They loved being where the action was.  I remember wandering about restaurants and kitchens, and bars while they ate and drank and had incredible fun.  I think it is where I got my appreciation for watching the scene, and for cooking.   I played the juke box.
Watching People at the Museum  Laurie Fox Pessemier  acrylic/canvas  8 x 8"  10 x 10cm  350.00
My mother’s family was so large (I had 18 cousins) we really didn’t fit entirely in my grandmother’s house, party central for our yearly Christmas Eve fete.  I sat on the stairs with a birds eye view.  Once, I took refuge in the bedroom where the coats were, and witnessed a screaming and crying argument between two aunts.  I never told anyone.   I would withdraw into pantries and behind curtains, quietly watching, gathering material for a story I’d never tell.   I learned a lot about people.
The Decoupage Horse Head  Blair and Laurie  Life Size


INVITING All Artists to present their Work: 


Pessemier's Sunday Salon
Weekly on Sunday  No Reservation Necessary

Rome 8PM ; NY 2 PM; LosAngeles  11AM


Laurie Pessemier is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85625088767?pwd=WldKRk9VbUVITWtRS0FFK2JwdGEwQT09 Meeting ID: 856 2508 8767 Passcode: 887182


 

No comments: