Sunday, August 02, 2020

Artnotes: Under the Sprinkler

Flowers on the Porch  Blair Pessemier Acrylic/canvas 14 x 18"  36 x 45cm   425.00
Hell comes to mind as I describe this last week in Roccamalatina, in the Apennines.  It has been in the 90s (33+ in C) for days, except for one powerful electrical storm which knocked out our power and left things feeling like a sauna.  We’ve moved to the ground floor bedroom, which has somewhat improved our sleeping, but it is just too darn hot!  Harika is panting like a banshee.  We are seldom taking walks, only after sunset, at 8:45.   She lies in the shade on the grass.  The bees are crazy for water, sipping from my plants, which inhibits my pruning efforts.
Balcony Arrangement   Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas  15 x 18 " 38 x 46 cm   450.00
I water my flowers in the very early morning.  The oleander seems to be doing best (I’ve seen it growing on the side of the A1 highway outside of Rome, so it’s a trooper). Kale is good, as are the cherry tomatoes.  The peppers might produce.   The geraniums are not forthcoming with buds, and despite frenzied bee activity, my cucumbers only blossom, no fruit.  I had a rash of radishes, which were delicious, but new seedlings are struggling.  Too hot.  Too sunny.  Too much dirty air, even up here.  I’ll talk to them.
By the Sea Tunisia  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas  9.5 x 13"  24 x 33cm  450.00
What I really want to do is to go swimming.  We went to the Lago della Ninfa (waterlily lake) to lunch outdoors with friends this week.  I wore my swimsuit.  In fact, the “lake” was smaller than a football  (American) field, and was stocked with lazy fish so men could angle around the perimeter.  I was perfectly shocked by the whole thing, but lunch was terrific fun, and I got to say “I can’t believe it” over and over again on the way home.
The Haystack in the Yard   Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   18 x 15"  46 x 38 cm  475.00
My Zoom painting workshop this week was great despite paint drying on the palette (I am reminded to get a wooden box I can keep wet).  There are things about these Zoom sessions I like as better than in real life – mostly, we’re not limited to the usual plein air acrylic painting.  Today, we can more easily use oils, or pastels, or whatever we like.   We can paint still life, or portraits; we’re drawing, and painting on paper, or using collage.  No sunburn.  The choices are vast.   This week, my fellow painter took photos of her possible subjects, and I matched as closely as I could on my end.   You can see Blair’s and my results.  On Tuesday mornings, I paint while my friend Yukie draws, in France, via skype.
Fishing   Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/wood   12 x 12"  30x 30cm  475.00
I know I will be longing for these warm days in January, but then is then and now is now.  I might sit beneath the lawn sprinkler.

Join us for Pessemier’s Sunday Salon on Sunday 2 August. 
It’s at 8 PM Europe time, 2 PM New York time, and 11 AM in California.    
Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82612365156?pwd=VmsvZ2MwRmZaZ1BjamZScXhRM3Bvdz09

Meeting ID: 826 1236 5156      Passcode: 887182

If you would like to remote paint with us, sign up on www.pessemierworkshops.com    


 

ShareShare
TweetTweet
ForwardForward
PinPin
Copyright © 2020 Laurie and Blair Pessemier, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you have requested it, when you met us at an artshow, or online or through a friend.

Our mailing address is:
Laurie and Blair Pessemier
48 Lake Harwinton Rd
Harwinton, CT 06791

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments: