Sunday, May 17, 2020

Artnotes: A Toad

Daisies  Laurie Fox Pessemier Acrylic/canvas 20 x 8"  50 x 17cm   375.00
 In today’s Artnotes, I want to tell you I went to the most fantastic museum, took a dip in the ocean and ate the best lunch of my life; but alas, it would not be true.  Instead, I planted three petunia plants:  red, ivory and magenta-and-white striped.  I made a scarecrow from yard clippings (I was going to make him a mate, but decided to wear that old dress after all); I hung two North American bird specimens I constructed from cardboard and paint, in my small blue spruce tree.   I had to meditate in a serious way twice this week.
Petunias  Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   11 x 18"  27 x 45 cm   375.00
Bees swarmed from one of Ludovico’s hives next door, and set up housekeeping in our tower.  Blair was over there telling him about it, when the neighbor from across the street told Ludovico yet another swarm had taken hold in the apartment over the post office.  I realized Ludovico was having a worse day than me.  Later he came over, maskless, and got spit from his loose teeth right on my chin.  Yikes.
 
Iris on a Persian Carpet   Laurie Fox Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas  18 x 13  "  45 x 33cm  380.00
I have loosened up about judging myself over what I am doing.  If I want to cut out birds from cardboard, that’s just fine.  It may not be high art, but it makes me happy, and one day a big wind will come and they’ll fly away.  I still paint. And cook; questionable fish from the frozen food cooler.
Harika got a haircut on Monday, and hasn’t quite gotten over the embarrassment of her naked behind. She’s been in the car for three days.
Toad  Blair Pessemier    Acrylic/canvas   12 x 16"  30 x 40cm 325.00
So as I cast about for a theme for this week’s Artnotes, I am at a loss.  I am like a rudderless ship. Ideas abound and are forgotten.  I decide I am not going to tolerate the eccentricities of others, but then I realize I am pretty crazy myself.  Loosen up.  I am simply trying to adjust to what comes my way.  In my best Yankee attitude, I resolve to turn over a new leaf, only to find a toad beneath it.

Would you like a special picture painted by one of us?  send me an email at lfpessemier@gmail.com,
Was this email forwarded to you?  Sign up for your own subscription to Artnotes.

No comments: