Sunday, June 16, 2019

Artnotes: Surrounded by People


Red Lettuce  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/paper  17 x 25"  41 x 63cm

Girl with leaf lips   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/paper  25 x 17"  63 x 41cm

Jolly Flowers   Laurie Fox Pessemier  12 x 12"  30cm  

Birthday Flowers Blair Pessemier  Acrylic on panel  13 x 18"   33 x 41cm   

We celebrated two birthdays this week:  our friend Paul, here and Rocca Malatina and my sister Nancy in Connecticut.  We had Spaghetti alla Scoglia at the Gigolo restaurant, across the street.  There was another, much larger, teen-age birthday party at the next table(s), so we camped onto to their singing and sparkly cake.  I see life as one big fabric: yours, mine, ours.

Earlier in the week, I’d pledged to quit pasta and bread, but in fact, it’s tough to do here in Italy.   I will just have to accept my chubby self the way I am.   I am jolly.

So jolly, in fact, I was in a video from Montecorone di Zocca today.  Blair and I participated in the festival there, showing our artwork.  Our friend Antonella was next door, offering an art  “laboratory” for children.  Chalk abounded, in all colors.  There were the best cakes, and a kissing area.  I may go back at 5:30 for a poetry reading. 

Sell anything? My father would ask.   No.  This is just a visiting event.  And even though our language is challenged, it’s fun to watch. 

We have (officially) more than 200 paintings of People.  It looks as though there will be over 100 Florals and Trees.   Landscapes loom, along with miscellaneous.  The new camera-phone (Samsung S10) has proven its worth.  It was rated #2 in camera/phones -- Huawei was #1, but seemed a controversial choice.  We each have a phone now.

I spent an inordinate amount of time this week assembling a catalog of those people images -- I still have to make an index of sizes and details, but you can take a look at:    https://issuu.com/paintfox/docs/people_catalog

The new phone makes it easier for me to post to Instagram, with pretty sophisticated editing tools.  But all of these devices, tools, make me feel lonely and frustrated.  Which is why going to this Montecorone fair, with ultimate in visiting, is so good.  Honestly, I am still a little frustrated, but being surrounded by people, all smiling at me, is wonderful.

Vittorio gave me this beautiful lettuce this week, I had to paint it.  

No comments: