Saturday, June 25, 2016

Artnotes: Benevolence

 ​Roses  Blair Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas 15.5 x 11.5  39 x 29 cm   

 Roses with Cypress   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12"  30 x 30cm

Nasturtium and Marigolds   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas panel  11 x 14"  28 x 35 cm



The European flag has lost a star this week – and a really important star:  the UK.  Brexit passed, to the dismay of the majority of people I know.  I really felt the UK gave important Anglo-Saxon input to a Roman-Empire-dominated European Union. 

I began this artnotes about flags on Flag Day, 14 June (I have been trying to write every day).    Not that I would fly my American flag (or an Italian, or French, or Polish flag), but I would fly a “happiness” flag.  Joy.  Kindness.  Strength.  Struggle for what you believe in.  Passion.  Flower Power.  Smile.  The English Language Lending Library (my latest project, send me your books in English).  Art.  Beauty.  Bravery.  Boldness.  Humility.  Generosity.  Love.   Learning.  Language.  Politeness.  Penmanship.  Color.  Variety.  Growth.  Food.  Black.  White.  Red.  Magenta. Turquoise.  Indian Yellow. Trees.  Hats. Gloves. Shoes. Sunshine.  Rain.

If you look at anything in a positive way, it’s good.   I can see the positiveness of a rainy day, especially now that’s the temperature is 90 in the shade.   I love the dryness INSIDE the house.   Harika lying on the bed.  Blair in a nice shirt, standing at the library table. 

I am thinking of inside projects right now.  I dream of installing our books for the English Language Lending Library, and making labels:  Fiction, Biography, Travel.  I can’t wait to do this project.   We’ll be open on Sunday afternoons and a weeknight.    Anyone can join.   Book donations encouraged.

Tomorrow we leave for the USA for six weeks.  I worry about Harika on the plane, but we have a direct flight from Milan to New York.   We’ll be at Hemlock Lodge before you know it.  

The Bonheur du Jour (morning writing)  is such a good thing.  It wasn’t as good for me years ago, when all I could think about was coming up with the rent in Paris.  But I am more at ease now, thanks to better painting sales, less expenses, and the benevolence of Blair’s parents.

BENEVOLENCE.   That’s a good one.

No comments: