Saturday, April 11, 2015

Artnotes: Just an Idea

 Eiffel Tower in the distance   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/linen 10.5 x 16" 27 x 41 cm
 Eiffel Tower with boats  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/panel  10.5 x 14   27 x 35cm
 Towers of St Clothilde   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/panel  12 x 12  30 x 30 cm
 Pont de la Concorde  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/panel  12 x 12  30 x 30 cm
 Assemblee Nationale  Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/wood  6.5 x 9.5  17 x 24 cm
 Boats in the Mediterranean  Blair Pessemier  Acrylic/linen  20 x 24"  50 x 61cm 
 Trees in blossom Luxembourg Gardens   Laurie Fox Pessemier   9 x 13  23 x 33 cm
 Fruit tree in Auvers  Blair Pessemier   Acrylic/panel   13 x 9.5"  33 x 24 cm
Blossoms  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/panel  12 x 12"  30 x 30cm

Artnotes:   Just an Idea

Blair’s painting in the other room and I am banished to the little bedroom.  He’s painting larger these days, as you might have noticed.  It precludes both of us being in the house.  Normally, I’d head to the library,  but there is a “fermeture exceptionelle” (odd closing) today.   It’s too polluted to be out on the porch – I don’t know how the flowers stand it.  We had a large bouquet of tulips out there on the table, and the greatest assortment of bees came to collect the pollen.  It was beautiful.

I ran into my friend S the other day at the Monop, a small local grocery (it is in fact part of a big chain called Monoprix).  She was carrying two baby bottles.  “I am a grandmother,” she beamed.  “We’re the old ones now”.  I told her we are not old, we are the WISE ones.  This delighted her, as it delights me.  I feel I have better decision-making skills than I did.  And if the decision I make isn’t the right one, I have the skill and experience to get through. 

We are pursuing new digs in Italy, and leaving on Sunday to drive down there.  I am not sure it’s the right thing, but when one gets an idea it is best to follow it through to the end.  AT LEAST LOOK AT THE PLACE.  We are looking at a very large house on a big piece of land, not far from Bologna.  We would have lots of room to paint and offer painting workshops at the property, by the week, four times a year.  Harika would have a yard, and we would get a car to explore Italy.  We’re both keen to learn another language, grazie.

We drove the rental car out to Auvers sur Oise to paint today.  It was especially Van Gogh-y, with fruit trees in blossom against a deep blue sky.

I don’t think of Italy as leaving Paris, but doing something else for a year.  With the proper space, we’d like to make some sculpture, and I would like to sew.  There would be a plethora of inspiration, for how ever long.

We are rather fixtures in our neighborhood.  Market vendors could go broke without our custom.   I can’t imagine being without my friend M, for too long, even though we only see each other once in awhile.  She wrote the book on wisdom: she makes the sanest sorts of decisions.  She’s out in the country right now, and here I am running huckledebuck.

The rent on the new place would be half of what we pay right now, which is interesting.   I try not to make strictly financial decisions, but it is consideration (I only have one workshop reservation for a half day this entire summer).   We could come back to Paris to visit, a month at a time, and rent a little furnished apartment.   Would we?  I like to think so.  Would you come visit us in Italy?

Don’t worry, it’s just an idea.

No comments: