Sunday, December 15, 2013

Artnotes: En Route

 View from the Porch  Villefranche sur Mer  Blair Pessemier   OIL/linen 16 x 16 inches
Grapefruit Tree   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/linen   12 x 16 inches

Artnotes:  En Route

“Victor’s cabs wants 45 Euros to take us to the train station,”  I tell Blair.  I find G7 cabs would take us for 10 – 13 Euros but I have to buy twenty euros of credit to get the cab to pick us up.  We opt for just standing on the corner at 7:15, and end up with a charming fellow who charges 13, suitcases and Harika included, and leaves us with his card.   

I am wrting artnotes today from seat 116 on the TGV to Nice (Ville).   I’ve commandeered an extra seat, with an electrical outlet.  I am still pitifully behind in the technology race, working off an old Dell laptop garnered from a job with German engineers a few years ago.

We’re headed to our winter painting venue:  Villefranche-sur-Mer, just seven minutes from Nice.  I have big aspirations:  to paint some large paintings, laid out on the ground in the yard and to try to paint in oil once again.  I have been most impressed with oil since I have been going  to the  Atelier Grande Chaumiere to paint the live model.   Most people there use oil, and it is impressive.   

We had breakfast at a little café in the station.  It was clearly where the all night owls go:  I saw a man in a golden domino (that’s a mask which just goes to the nose) exiting from an late midnight snack.  When we got out to the gate, there was one of the famous Paris pianos ( fine instruments set around town on red carpet), and 7:45 found us next to a brilliant pianist.  “I am singer,” he tells Blair after multiple bravos.  

I have other big ideas for this trip as well:  to figure out how to build Monet’s Bateau-Atelier and introduce it as a painting venue for our painting workshops.  Blair and I will put our years in business school to use,  building a business plan.   We’re thinking about renting a boat while in Villefranche just to get an idea about painting while on the water.  It is a still sea in the bay, and there are lots of possible subjects to paint from other boats to fabulous villas on the water.

I am also going to work on organizing Artnotes into a book.  I would like to see how it looks on an Ipad as I go along, so any volunteer viewers with such equipment, or an Ipad to sell at a modest price, don’t hesitate to say so.

Of course, all these ideas may not come to fruition, but it’s good to have some goals.  There is something about getting away from the everyday that lets the mind soar to new heights.  There are less interruptions, as well.

Our train is at the gate, and a Welsh man and his wife help us with our bags.   They are headed further on, to Italy.    

+  we painted two pictures on Sunday, in our house at Villefranche-sur-Mer!







No comments: