Saturday, September 21, 2013

Change of Thought

 

Giverny in Japanese Format  Blair Pessemier Acrylic on linen   22 x 13 inches

A couple of sunny days this week accommodated our painting workshops nicely.  Blair made it out to Giverny (I am still nursing the flu) with two painters, and we hosted three in the Luxembourg Gardens on Friday.  There is such a look to the light at the end of the summer – golden glow around turning leaves and much more yellow in the landscape.

Luxembourg Gardend end of the Season  Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic/linen  11 x 14 inches



Our Friday crew was very diverse, with Americans [originally] from Macau, Southern Italy and Las Vegas.  I get to meet the “cream of the crop” as Americans go – those daring enough to travel and willing to paint in front of all the world.  “Someday,” I tell them, “all these photographs people take of you will fall into the hands of their grandchildren, and they will ask, ‘who is that famous artist?’”   America really is the big melting pot (with Australia not far behind) – a society which will give everyone a chance.  AND, most importantly, we can LAUGH at ourselves.
Standing in front of the town hall in Auvers-sur-Oise, and Australian painter and I laugh uproariously at our own painting folly.  I am touched by how we can both do that.   Europeans never laugh at themselves (in fact, the French rarely laugh out loud).



View across Rennes   Laurie Fox Pessemier  Acrylic on cardboard  11 x 10 inches
 
I’ve been reading mounds of things as I lay around the house, waiting for this episode to pass.   Joan Didion’s husband’s near-to-last-words were about how he wished he hadn’t spent so much time reviewing a book about Natalie Wood.  I think yikes!  What a drag it would be to die having spent ones  last few hours on the wrong thing.   This always makes a good excuse for me not cleaning the kitchen.    

Friends of ours are moving to St. Malo, in the Brittany region of France.  I am a little envious.  I never like spending so much time in one place.  On the 4 October, we will have been in France (with selected absences, just ask the authorities) for twenty years.   I don’t regret any of it, I am happy to say, and have no immediate plans of leaving.  But I would like a change of venue.


Blair Pessemier  Trees in the Fall   Acrylic on linen   16 x 13 inches  

If we didn’t have such a great apartment , now affordable due to our lengthy lease, I would want to move within Paris.    We will have to content ourselves with of a winter painting trip to Southern Italy this year.   So our apartment, with the marginally clean kitchen, will be available for reasonable rent for up to a couple of months this winter.  And we can move to Southern Italy and paint pictures of Mt. Etna. Or maybe you will want to paint there, too.


Blair Pessemier   Boats at Giverny   Acrylic on linen  13 x 16 inches


Laurie Fox Pessemier   Flower Riot in the Luxembourg Gardens  Acyrlic on linen  10 x 14 inches

No comments: